South Carolina Identity Theft Laws
Identity Theft is a crime in which an impostor obtains key pieces of personal identifying information (PII) such as Social Security numbers and driver's license numbers and uses them for their own personal gain. This is called ID Theft. It can start with lost or stolen wallets, pilfered mail, a data breach, computer virus, phishing, a scam, or paper documents thrown out by you or a business (dumpster diving). This crime varies widely, and can include check fraud, credit card fraud, financial identity theft, criminal identity theft, governmental identity theft, and identity fraud.
Information about the laws in South Carolina is listed below.
Identity Theft laws in South Carolina
- Identity theft Law - S.C. Code Ann. § 16-13-510-530
Financial Identity Fraud
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c016.php (scroll down to it)
South Carolina Expanded Identity Theft Laws
Provided by ID Safety in partnership with International Association of Chiefs of Police and Bank of America
Security Freeze in South Carolina
- South Carolina Freeze Law - www.consumersunion.org/pdf/security/SC_security_freeze_law.pdf
- Eligibility: All consumers.
- Fees: None.
- Effective date of law: December 31, 2008
- Permanent freeze remains until removal requested by consumer.
- Instructions for using South Carolina's security freeze law - www.consumersunion.org/pdf/security/securitySC.pdf
- Place the freeze over the phone
- Equifax - 800-685-1111
- Experian - 888-397-3742
- TransUnion - 800-680-7289
Contacts in South Carolina
- Attorney General: The Honorable Alan Wilson
Rembert C. Dennis Office Bldg., P.O.Box 11549, Columbia, SC 29211-1549
Phone: (803) 734-3970
- Medicaid Fraud Hotline
Local: (803) 734-3660
Toll Free: (888) 662-4328
- Victim Assistance Program
Phone: (803) 734-3739
Credit Reporting Agencies and Federal Trade Commission
PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
Phone: (800) 525-6285
PO Box 9701, Allen, TX 75013-0949
Phone: (888 )397-3742
PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834
Phone: (800) 680-7289
Identity Theft Complaint Input Form
- FBI/FTC's Internet Fraud Task Force
- Click to download the attached file(s):
More resources: ID Theft Resource